Sunday, October 21, 2012

MoFo #21: Simplified Pain au Chocolat & Hot Cocoa

One of my favorite things to do on a Sunday morning is to make a hot breakfast. It's been a little cooler in the early mornings lately, so it was a perfect chance to make a hot breakfast. I defrosted some puff pastry, which I cut into strips and rolled out a little. I added a spoonful of Justin's dark chocolate hazelnut butter and folded the puff pastry over, sealing the edges with a fork. This nut butter is a low-sugar, vegan version of Nutella. I baked these according to the instructions on the pastry box. I decided to serve these with some hot cocoa. I have posted about hot cocoa before, but today I used some different ingredients. I recently bought Ah!laska non-dairy cocoa (the purple one shown on the website) and Dandie's vegan marshmallows. I heated some vanilla soy milk in the microwave, then stirred in the hot cocoa mix and topped it with the marshmallows. Dandie's are smaller than Sweet & Sara's marshmallows and they're air-puffed, so they have a texture similar to the non-vegan jumbo puffy marshmallows. Yum! What a quick, but satisfying, hot breakfast! I've also put vegan cream cheese and jam in puff pastry, but please be patient when they come out of the oven. A blob of hot jam burned my hand last weekend and it blistered!
IMG_0332 IMG_0335 IMG_0333 IMG_0336 Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment