Saturday, October 27, 2012

MoFo #27: Potpie Explosion

I would call this a deconstructed potpie, not a potpie explosion, but I didn't write Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites. The recipe lacks vegetables. It only calls for chopped cauliflower and sliced button mushrooms. That seemed a little weird to me, so I added frozen peas and some carrots (chopped using the food processor). The flavoring for the broth was quite good, but basic - vegetable broth, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, dried basil, and salt & pepper to taste. Instead of having a crust, the recipe calls for bacon onion biscuits, another recipe in the book. The biscuits seemed a bit dry (maybe I cut the butter into the dough too much?), the onion powder was a little too strong, and there weren't that many imitation bacon bits. There's potential in this recipe, but it just wasn't the caliber of the other recipes I've tried from Joni and Celine (well, the orange chipotle tempeh wings sucked too). Although not shown in this photo, I sauteed some tofu to mix in for a protein source, but I think white beans would have been a great choice too.
IMG_0383 Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment