Wednesday, October 17, 2012

MoFo #17: Simplified Shepherd's Pie

As I mentioned yesterday, I had leftover mashed potatoes. I really had no idea what to do with them. My labmate suggested shepherd's pie. It was a really great idea, surprisingly from a woman that never cooks. I told her thanks and looked for some simple recipes. I found a VeganDad recipe that looked really good. I decided to use a box of tofu, frozen mixed vegetables (2 cups), and some dried minced onion instead of the fresh vegetables and chickpeas in the recipe. I used the soy milk, flour, and nutritional yeast in the amounts listed in the recipe. I heated the tofu and frozen vegetables in a skillet, then added the liquid and some seasonings. I put a layer of potatoes in a pie pan, topped that with the heated tofu and vegetables, and topped it with another layer of potatoes. The recipe calls for vegetable broth powder. I used VegeBase since it was lurking in the spice cabinet, but Bryanna Clark Grogan has a well-known recipe too. You'll need powdered soy milk in her version.
IMG_0347 IMG_0348 Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment