Sunday, September 21, 2014

MoFo #21: Vegan Monkey Bread Simplified

When my mom and I were in Walmart last week, she spotted a frozen monkey bread. I checked the ingredients and it was definitely not vegan. I said I could make us some monkey bread, surely there would be recipes on google. Well, many recipes used dough from scratch or canned biscuits. I checked the ingredients on Pillsbury biscuits and they all had milk. I kept searching the web and eventually found this page where they used pizza dough. Brilliant! Publix and Whole Foods both sell pizza dough balls. They make them and let them rise before bagging them up. To make pizza, you'd need a second rise, but not for this monkey bread! I went out to the store this morning and picked up a ball of pizza dough. I let the dough come to room temp while I gathered my other ingredients (from this link) and let the oven preheat. I wasn't able to find a bundt pan in my mom's cabinets, but she had a springform cake pan. I mixed the cinnamon and sugar in a big zipper bag. I plucked off a few pieces of dough at a time and rolled them into balls, then put them in the zipper bag for a shake. When all of the dough was used, I melted some Earth Balance in the microwave and mixed in dark brown sugar. I poured that over the top and popped the pan into the oven. My mom came in from mowing right as they finished. I whipped up a glaze with powdered sugar and soy milk. We dug in! She couldn't even wait for me to grab my phone from the next room for the photo. Talk about diabetes - dough in cinnamon sugar, coated in vegan butter and brown sugar, and glazed with powdered sugar. CARBS.
 photo 7052ef58-ace8-4fae-a64d-5dfe9fab9b26_zps35a642da.jpg


 photo IMG_3507_zps78889aa2.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I haven't made this in years! Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hit the spot! We snacked on it all morning while watching tv. I like those moments when she's surprised by what vegan goodness I can whip up in the kitchen.

      Delete