Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pot Pie Amazingness

Since I managed to have a day to myself after expecting to work all weekend, I decided to make a meal that was too time consuming for a normal weekday. I selected the Cajun pot pie in American Vegan Kitchen following the variation for a more traditional pot pie. I also used spinach since I couldn't find chard. This afternoon, I made the seitan lite cutlets (also in the book) and the dough for the crust. The cutlets take about 2 hours to cook, whereas the dough needs to rest in the fridge for an hour. I made the dough in my KitchenAid stand mixer since my food processor is small. This evening, I prepared the filling and the sauce. I cut 4 cutlets into cubes, then placed them on the bottom of my pie pan. I poured the filling over the seitan cubes, then placed the crust on top. The dough was damp and sticky, therefore I used a bit of flour (maybe 1/8 cup) when rolling it out. I served the pot pie with some Cajun red beans that I defrosted.


Photobucket


The author of American Vegan Kitchen runs a blog called Vegan Appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment