Friday, May 17, 2013

Tamale Casserole

I signed up for VegNews email a while back. A recent email included a recipe for tamale pie by Betsy DiJulio. She wrote several Mexican-themed recipes for the magazine recently. I was able to find a copy of the recipe online here, but it's not easy to read. I soaked one cup of dried black beans and cooked them in my little Crockpot. I also made my own seitan. I used this recipe from FatFreeVegan for the seitan, but used Mexican spices instead of the garlic and ginger listed. I also didn't add nutritional yeast this time because I'm out of it. I like to mix the peanut butter, soy sauce, and sesame oil together first, before adding the water. I find that recipe to be a versatile baked seitan recipe. I used all the black beans (slightly more than 2 cups cooked) and all the seitan to make my filling. There was no way that all that food was going to fit into a little pan, so I used my 9"x13" casserole dish. For the masa harina layer, I used coconut oil instead of canola oil. Gotta love buying a Costco size jar of coconut oil. I served my tamale casserole with avocado cubes. Yum!
 photo 4d4050bd-228c-41a2-921f-efa11152db9c_zpscc862e7a.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment