Friday, August 24, 2012

Brinner

I *love* brinner (breakfast for dinner). I decided to make this meal during the week, which was a huge mistake from a time perspective. I ended up having a very late dinner in the middle of the week, but it was tasty. I made the "egg" and chorizo frittata from Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites, but I omitted the black salt. The black salt is supposed to add a real egg flavor, but I never liked eggs so I omitted it. I used Helen's Kitchen soy chorizo, which was a new brand for me. The recipe says the french fried onion topping makes the dish, but I disagree. They're a nice crunch, but I don't think they're essential. I served the frittata with the puffy pancakes from PPK, except mine weren't very puffy. I didn't have vegetable oil, so I used coconut oil. My flax seeds are coarsely ground, not finely ground, so that may be a factor too. The baking powder in my cabinet is not that old. Isa really tests her recipes, so I doubt it's because I used soy milk instead of almond milk, because she listed both in the recipe. The taste was very good and I'd be willing to try the recipe again to get the beautiful puffiness. I used to love bacon with breakfast, so I bought some maple smoky tempeh bacon. I don't care much for tempeh's bitterness, but these strips are pretty darn good and not bitter. This meal kicked butt and made enough for several days' dinner. :)

brinner123

No comments:

Post a Comment