Saturday, July 9, 2011

Jackfruit & Other Asian Adventures

I had no idea what jackfruit was until about a year ago when I saw it on the internet. Here is the Jackfruit Wikipedia. It comes in cans either in brine or syrup. I found some at the local Asian market, Saigon Oriental Food Market, recently. I immediately knew I wanted to make a pulled pork-style sandwich, which is the way I've seen jackfruit used online. I found this recipe and went to town, doubling the recipe to use up the two cans of jackfruit I purchased. I don't know if I made a math mistake but they were quite hot from the cayenne. I love hot and spicy foods, but these sandwiches had me stopping for bites of Wildwood soy yogurt periodically. (I got the yogurt on sale for 77 cents each, instead of the usual $1.07, at Whole Foods last week!! Score!!) Since jackfruit doesn't have any protein, I served it with baked beans and yogurt for some protein, as well as with sweet potato fries for carbs.


Photobucket


Continuing with the Asian ingredients, I made two dishes from Vegan Fire & Spice. The first dish was hot and spicy Thai tofu. It has fried tofu, carrots, broccoli, onion, and dried chiles. The second dish, which I served as a side to the tofu, was buckwheat noodles with jade vegetables. It has soba noodles, baby bok choy, zucchini, and green bell pepper. I served this warm, instead of serving it cold like the recipe suggested. The sauce was delicious, because it has orange zest in it! The tofu would be great with any kind of noodle and the noodle dish would be great with cubed tofu or seitan to make a complete dinner (protein, carb, vegetables). The author of this cookbook, Robin Robertson, runs a blog called Vegan Planet and she has several other vegan cookbooks. These were both great recipes and I prepared both simultaneously within an hour. :)


Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment