Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Home-Cooked Holiday Food

Here are some photos of food that was home-cooked during my trip home for the holidays. For Xmas week, I made some mashed potatoes, a Tofurky roast, and green bean casserole using the recipe from Quick & Easy Vegan Celebrations. My mom loves green bean casserole, but I used to hate it. She makes her version with cream of chicken soup, even though the traditional way is with cream of mushroom. The vegan recipe uses soy milk, fresh mushrooms, and some flour to thicken the base.
IMG_0534-1_z


For my family gathering, my vegetarian aunt made some recipes from Vegan with a Vengeance - chickpea spinach curry, balsamic mushrooms, and apple sauce. So good! She said she snuck some leftover beet greens into the curry, but I didn't taste them. My plate looks so messy, because I snapped the photo of my second plate.
IMG_0530


For New Year's Day, I made some collard greens with a splash of vinegar, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. I served these with some canned black-eyed peas, since I didn't have time to simmer beans on the stove. I wish we had the ingredients for cornbread!
IMG_0590

No comments:

Post a Comment