Saturday, February 19, 2011

Interesting Quotes

Here are some interesting things that I've heard lately:

If you accept someone's apology, you're giving him/her license to do the same thing to you again.
I have never really thought of accepting someone's apology as a giving him/her permission to hurt you again, but it makes sense. If you can get away with doing something wrong, you will probably try to do it again because you know you can just smooth it over with an apology. Sometimes we make mistakes and we apologize, promising ourselves we won't do that again. That works most of the time for big fuck-ups. But for smaller things, I can see how someone would keep repeating the hurtful action knowing that things can be smoothed over with an apology. I heard this quote a couple months ago, but I finally saw an example of it recently. I have one friend who repeatedly says mean things to another friend and then apologizes later for it. Well, the friend getting crapped on finally said "enough!" and the other person is shocked. No one wants to be an emotional punching bag for someone else, so it shouldn't be a surprise that the person being insulted finally ended the friendship. I didn't give much thought to this quote when I heard it initially, but now I can see it holds some truth. By accepting the apologies so many times, the friend let the other person keep being mean. I guess the best thing would have been to say how unappreciated the remarks were the first time and then they probably would have stopped.

You know you're really happy when you can be happy for other people.
With Valentine's day just occurring, this is definitely true. I watched my friends celebrate their relationships. Some are starting new relationships and that's always the best time in a relationship! Although I'm not that close to them, I'm happy that they are happy. It was an interesting realization that I am happy after all. It took a long time to reach this point, but the last couple months have been sooo much better than the last year. Guess I turned a corner in my life and didn't realize it as it was happening. I knew I was trying, but I didn't realize it worked, haha.

Love is making yourself vulnerable and trusting the other person not to hurt you.
I am a guarded person. I know this is just a reaction to the break-up, not my natural character. But when I meet the right person, the shields will slowly come down. I haven't built walls around myself that completely block people out, but there's a little barricade there to deter people from getting close to me in a romantic sense. One day, I'll remove the barricade and be ready to date again. That day is just not today. I'm happy being single and I'm going to relish this opportunity in my life to live how I want to without worrying about considering someone else. I have complete and absolute freedom and I love it.

And now one for humor...
I want to lose weight, but I don't want to change the way I eat.
Yes, someone actually said that out loud. Well, without changing the way you eat, you'll stay heavy. Exercise is only part of the battle. Eating better plays an important role in weight loss and maintenance. You can eat shit and lose weight, but you'll probably gain the weight back slowly as you continue eating poorly. If you're not genetically predisposed to have a high metabolism that allows you to eat whatever you want without worry, you will have to change your diet and exercise to get results. Now if only science could tease apart what allows people to eat whatever without concern and turn that into a therapeutic! :-P


Anyways, enough quotes! Has anyone else been keeping up with the news? Protests are now occurring in Bahrain, Libya, Yemen, Jordan, and Algeria. It is really awesome that people are standing up for what they want, instead of being oppressed by their governments. There seems to be a lot of class issues involved. When there is a huge disparity between rich and poor, there will eventually be problems as the poor getting tired of struggling while others prosper (possibly through corruption).

No comments:

Post a Comment