Sunday, January 23, 2011

Oh Ferry Corsten

As I'm preparing photos for this entry and typing this up, I am listening to the amazing Ferry Corsten (YouTube channel). He's one of the best techno artists in the world and puts on an incredible live show. I had the chance to see him in NOLA for Voodoo Fest in 2006. One of the coolest moments of my life. I got really lucky to see Tiesto (YouTube channel), another legendary techno artist, at Voodoo Fest too. I'm bummed I missed the past one because a bunch of techno artists, including the rising Deadmau5 (pronounced Deadmouse), was there and the video footage of his set is sickkkk. Enough about my love of techno/trance, on to the food!

I made margarita cupcakes on Friday night with Jess and Elliot. Cristin got held up with some other stuff so she didn't get to join our baking and drinks party. Nothing better than fresh margaritas - Patron, Triple Sec, and fresh squeezed lime juice. The cupcake recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.


Photobucket


I went out of town for part of the weekend to celebrate my grandma's 80th birthday party. She was surprised to see me there. I felt like I really needed to be there after missing our family's last big birthday event for my great-grandma's 99th birthday in 2008. I didn't get to go to that event and my great-grandma passed away 3 weeks later. I never got to see her that one last time, because she died as I was getting on the interstate in Louisiana to make the 13 hour trip home. :(

While I was at my mom's house, I made the seitan, red bean, and white bean jamabalaya from Veganomicon for the cookbook challenge. The seitan recipe in this book is ungodly salty and I would not make it again. Even the next day, the seitan was still really salty. The recipe would have been delicious even without the seitan. I'd use a less salty seitan recipe next time or maybe some tofu cubes. The beans alone would be enough. The recipe made waaayyy more food than I anticipated so I'd cut the recipe in half in the future.


Photobucket


Today, I went to the surprise brunch party for my grandma. My vegetarian aunt made spanakopita for me using the recipe from VwaV. The way these are shaped makes me want to dip them in something, but I have no idea what sauce would be appropriate. My aunt said she wanted more spinach in them, but I think I'd want more nutritional yeast for that salty/savory element. She also made some chocolate cupcakes and cornbread veganized for me. :)


Photobucket


Okay, time to listen to more Ferry Corsten and rock out in my room!

No comments:

Post a Comment