Monday, May 2, 2011

News Junkie

If you know me, you know I'm a news junkie. I watch the news every morning at the gym, but I also read the news online. I skim the Google News headlines daily and usually select 6 to 12 articles to read. They're mostly focused on world events, politics, science, and health, but I sometimes read about more frivolous but fun topics (celebrity scandals and what not). I love reading the news and discussing it. Some of my favorite conversations revolve around current events and differing interpretations of the long-term ramifications of the event. This is something that I have really enjoyed with my two last boyfriends - they are willing to push me to think in a different way and are willing to defend their interpretations. I like that challenge - it's exercise for your brain! :)

Anyways, with today's news about Osama bin Laden's death, I have mixed feelings. Yes, there is a sigh of relief that he was found, but it's unnerving to see people celebrating the death of another person in the streets. I know bin Laden is a mass murderer and I fully believe he deserved to be brought to trial for crimes against humanity. He did not surrender to the special forces, and therefore was killed in the firefight. It's unusual to see people celebrating the death of another person, regardless of the horrific acts committed by that person. I think this quote is an adequate way to describe what I'm thinking:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Unknown

He might have been the world's worst mass murdering fuckhead, but he is still a human being in the end. We should be thankful that our troops were able to find him and survive the mission, but we have to remember his death and any perception of cockiness on our part could potentially put our troops in more danger as people retaliate. Maybe if I was pro-death penalty, I would understand the celebration of death. That Biblical "eye for an eye" type of justice does not serve as a deterrent to future criminals. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (believe that's a Dalai Lama quote).

I'm still digesting this news and my thoughts on the situation, but I do know that I hope that my friends that are still deployed are safe in the aftermath of this event. My thoughts are with our military, their families, and to everyone affected by the terrorist attacks of September 11th, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment