Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Indian Food in 30 Minutes

I bookmarked a lot of recipes in my copy of The 30 Minute Vegan the other night, but I really couldn't wait to make the tofu saag. I'm a sucker for Indian food and this sounded delicious. I was skeptical about using frozen spinach, but I read in another cookbook it's essential for the right texture in some recipes and Rachael Ray called it one of the best values in the grocery store because it takes a lot of spinach to cook down to equal 1 lb. The book had several variations listed, so I followed two of them: using sesame oil instead of water to saute the onion and adding in tomato. The other additions of cauliflower, potato, or peas would have been tasty as well, but I didn't have any of those things on hand. I served it over quinoa and with a side of red lentil dhal. Although there is a red lentil dhal recipe in the book, I had a box of pre-made red lentil dhal by Ashoka, a company specializing in shelf-stable, ready-to-eat Indian foods. I bought it a long time ago at India Spice, a local shop, so I wanted to eat it before it expired next month. India Spice makes fresh samosa from scratch on the weekends, just FYI. :)


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment